Tuesday 13 March 2012

Weeks 2-4 in Sri Lanka

On the way down from Adam's Peak in front of a Dagoba

Me and Natalie in Kandy at The Sacred Tooth Temple

Me and Andrea at the Millennium elephant sanctuary

Netball practice

Netball class

On Mr Niel's motorbike from the Youth Centre

At the top of Adam's Peak entrance to temple

Me at the top of Adam's Peak

Lovely pancake and fruit breakfast
Me teaching at the Youth Center to the Bakery boys!

Me and Katy in our Computer Hardware lesson, teaching English to the monks

Reading the newspaper with Richard at the Men's Special Needs

20th -4th March
Monday morning in Unawatuna: We got ready, and headed to a meditation lesson at the top of the Ceylon vegetarian cafe. Here we mediated and it was focused on coping with everyday life without being angry or resentful. A good quote from one regular lady was that meditation would help you gain a balance of compassion and wisdom in life. Afterwards, we headed back to Homagama. I was sad, as I had just had the most amazing weekend, that had gone extremely fast and I knew I was going to be saying goodbye to Annabelle. That day we got back and went to the all girls orphanage in Marhabodi. We taught them the names of fruits and vegetables and I held a baby kitten as I walked around the class. I was sad how the girls treated each other. They often hit and upset one another, many running off and the lesson was so disrupted due to this. But we are always talking to them in English so I thought the lesson must have been successful, even though we only had their attention for a short time, at least we were conversing with them in English.

21st: Natalie and I taught the bakery boys lesson this morning, we taught them formal and informal using flashcards and later we started directions. Ashen (one of the pupils) gave us tea and a fish bun he had made for our dinner. Later that afternoon, I taught the netball girls with Andrea, we taught them directions and did the map and blindfolding game. After 2 hours of English lessons, we played netball with them, which went really well! Mr Neil said he would give us a life home that afternoon, and told us to meet him near the train station, at a ‘secret location’ to avoid the police. Mr Neil gave Andrea and I a lift home on his bicycle; the two of us squeezed on to the back, and it was so much fun! I savoured every moment on the back of that bike, and gripped for my life!

That night we went home and I moved into Alyia’s room! She is the teacher at the deaf school so she is going to start teaching my sign language BSL and Sinhala. That night for tea, we had jackfruit and beetroot with salad and rice... yummyyy and we filled in the activity sheets of what we had taught and the outcomes of the day.

22nd: Today I taught the monks and other boys in the computer class. We did a lesson on CV writing. The monks are from Bangladesh and have studied a BA in Buddhism at the University of Pali in Sri Lanka. They told us they attend the class in Marhargama Youth Centre to learn knowledge to offer teaching to those less fortunate. I asked Ritto, the monk with a ‘loving glowing face’, to sum Buddhism and meditation in one sentence, he said you have to focus on now; the present moment is the only thing that matters. When I asked if they forgive people who have done wrong he said, ‘We always forgive them, but they will still endure their karma at some stage’. He gave Katy and I a book each on the practices and thoughts of Buddhism and I am determined to learn more. Another amazing quote one of the monks said was from Buddha that ‘he who conquers the mind conquers the world.’ The world is only external stimuli; it is you that makes your life what it is. Later that afternoon, after having an amazing vegetable samosa in the Kalbo bakers, we went to the all boys orphanage. It is funded by a monk. There are 12 boys that live there and I was drawn to 6 year old Rashika. We wanted to teach the children ‘My name is... I am.. years old. I come from.....’.  So, I started working with Rashika, but soon realised he couldn’t write at all. Therefore, I spent half an hour drawing the dots and he copied. I was amazed at how much children just learn from copying what they hear and see. He soaked in all the language I used and just repeated it- comprehending would come later on. 

Later, we went outside and played a number game, when you get to number 10 you was out and we sang to them ‘elimination, elimination, bye bye’. It was good fun, then nearing the end of our visit, Rashika took me by the hand and led me around the garden, he was twittering away to me in Sinhala. He walked me around the garden and there was a huge cow with a stalk perched on it. We calmly approached it then started to walk back. I only wonder what he was saying to me, and I was annoyed I couldn’t understand what he was saying... but it didn’t matter, it was just a lovely moment.

 After the project, we jumped on the bus back to Homagama, and I stopped to get a bag of hot chickpeas that were in a recycled bag that appeared to be the paper of a child’s maths homework!

23rd:  We got ready and went to the Men’s special needs. I sat with Mr Bali for 1 hour, and brought him the newspaper, although I’m sure he wasn’t too happy as he was expecting a purse! Nevertheless, we chatted, and I wrote about his life. And he asked me, frustratingly, how I can afford things, what my parents do, how much money I earn and if I could sponsor him. I told him I am a student and I have no wage. I told him I am going to type up all about his life in English, which I am working on now.

Later on, I wasn’t feeling too good, so that afternoon I missed the Sanhinda project and went to bed for 4 hours. I woke up feeling great and ate a very juicy orange after watching Amma chop beetroot with a sharp knife between her toes and slicing it in a very skilful manner, and then I went for a walk. After a visit to the internet cafe, I decided to take a detour home and I wandered around the back of the village, away from the chaotic streets. Whilst doing so, I came across lots of many smiley people, and I lost myself in the beautiful surroundings. I met a man who was excited to show me his home and where he prays to Buddah. I then continued to wander around, and I realised I had taken a wrong turn. Some men on a tractor saw me and I used my “universal sign language skills” to ask if it was ok for me to hop on the back. I did so, and it was brilliant, they took me to their home where they were loading the truck with bags of sand, and then they spoke to Mr Neil on my phone and drove me all the way home, this time I rode on the front! It was so much fun and I laughed all the way back. I was greeted by Amma, who thought I was crazy, but she was also laughing. That evening, we had rice, pumpkin, and salad for tea and we filled in what we had taught in the lessons in previous weeks.

24th Today I worked at the Computer Application class, it was brilliant lesson. We taught them a lesson on directions and then we got ready to go away for the weekend. We were going to climb Adam’s Peak, in the hill country of Sri Lanka, which is 5500 steps at an elevation of 2243m. It has been a focus for pilgrimage for thousands of years. Interestingly, it is known as representing something in the 4 main religions, which makes it a beautiful place to visit as it unifies all religions. Christians and Jewish People believe it is the place where Adam first set foot on the earth (after being cast out from heaven), or it is known by Hindus and Buddhists as Sri Pada, a footprint left by Buddah as he headed towards paradise. We took the 138 from Marhargama, to Colombo. From Colombo, we took the bus to Hatton then from Hatton we took the bus do Delhouse for Adam’s Peak, (at the side of the railway station). The bus was packed and had many people, the man next to me played the guitar, and I met Harith there. He told me that he was going to start the climb immediately and not sleep. At that moment, I decided that I was just going to climb straight away. I got off the bus and we started the climb, without having a nap beforehand. First, we had shower, as it was to purify us. Next, we went up, blessed by the monk and then we went on. Whilst on the climb I experienced washing in a pure river and putting the white string along the side of the walls. At a few points, we stopped and looked at the stars as people chanted ‘Lord Buddah’. It was very busy and felt amazing to be part of a real pilgrimage. I was also one of the only western people on the climb as many others do not start (like my colleagues) until after having a nap. We set off at 11pm and reached the top at 3.30am. Whilst at the top, I slept in the hold with butterflies and my sleeping bag. 

After 5.30am, I wandered around and the sun was beginning to rise, I stood on the side of the temple and it began to rise. I went into the temple and knelt down to the scared footprint, which was masked in gold and difficult to make out, then I wandered and around and enjoyed the amazing view. The sun came, and I met the others and we began the epic journey back down. On the walk down I came across some puppies and an amazing woman called Brenda who decided to grab my hand and talk to me. She was Sri Lankan and was roughly 70ish and she was just about to climb, she was so friendly. I loved the walk down amongst the tea field, and there was a funeral being held for a Japanese monk. We got to the bottom, had a quick shower, and then headed off on the bus to Kandy. On the way down I also tried a Sri Lankan sweet called rulan, which is sugar and cocnut in a jelly consistency.

We arrived in Kandy (the former capital) late in the afternoon at ‘Pink House’. We dropped off our bags and headed for the Sacred Tooth Temple. It was beautiful, I read the story of the tooth and a group of children ran over to me shouting ‘teacher, teacher’. After walking around the temple, I lit a candle for my granddad and listened to the chants of the monks. We then headed for food in the Empire hotel and then ‘the pub’ for a few hours. 

The following day we went for a walk around Kandy. We came across many temples and went in one where which was both Hindu and Buddhist. The monk blessed us but then asked for a donation of 2000 rupees to fix the damage in his room. It was interesting to see how the Hindu temples have many figures and gods, and Buddhist is just one. After that, we went for fruit salad and pancake and tea for brunch then headed off to another temple. This one was the big Buddha on a hill. Here we looked at the view and then I went in the gift shop and bought a leaf with the teaching hands of Buddah on. I told the man in the shop that I was going to be a teacher and he said ‘good luck’.

We then headed for the Queen’s hotel, opposite the Sacred Tooth, which was lovely and quintessentially colonial. Here I met a woman called Minette, who was playing the piano, she had blue eyes and was Sri Lankan; she told me her eyes were a gift from God and her music she composed was inspired by nature. We had a drink at the bar then headed back to guesthouse. We then took a tuk tuk to the elephant Millenium sanctuary. It was amazing, I saw the elephants in the lake, after paying 2000 rupees to get in (£12), and then we cleaned and scrubbed them in the lake. After 20 minutes, he told us we could now go for a ride, so we hopped on and our elephant ‘Tanil’ walked around with us on his back led by the mahout (elephant trainer). I then went back in the water and continued to wash it then we sat on its back and it gave us a shower!

27th- Monday morning back in Homagama, was free to roam around and relax and I did some more lesson plans. In the afternoon, I went with Aaron the Mahinda Rajapaski school and I coached volleyball. It was really good fun, there wasn’t much space to play and at one point the rain came down ferociously, but we managed to find space round the back on the school and we played volleyball for nearly 2 hours! All of my instructions were in English, without any translation, which was also successful as they learn from that also.

28th This evening I went to the beachside in Mount Lavinia with a group of Sri Lankan people. One boy taught me that the LTTE are the only terrorist regime to have killed two world leaders, the Sri Lankan and Indian Presidents. We had a very interesting political discussion and I began to consider coming back to teach in Sri Lanka and focusing a research paper on the relationship and effects of and between education and war/post-war.

29TH- After the projects,  I went on a boat ride with Katy on Maharagama lovers lake (haha!) in the afternoon and in the evening I went  to the temple with Lakmal. He taught me that there are 3 sections of the temple, first you go to dagoba, then into see Buddha, then outside around the back where there is a large tree and other small statues on Buddha. He told me a story that there was an elephant running towards Buddha to kill him, but the moment he got there he just kneeled down to Buddha instead.

1st March: Today we went to the Men’s Special Needs and we did exercises and  I gave hand and head massages. After, we went to the orphanage at Sanhinda. At the orphanage we played ‘On the beach, in the water, up the mountain’- a prepositions game. We also did a language focus on days of the week, and we handed out all of the days in 3 teams then said ‘go’ and we did a competition on the first to complete the days of the week in order. That night we had a Sari party and I dressed up in Yasintha’s Sari and we had a nice tea, and I had Cokis (coconut and flower fried snack) for the first time. It was rassi! (delicious in Sinhala!)

That evening I also had an email from Laurel bank in Shaw. That weekend they raised 387 pounds (sorry, no pound sign on a Sri Lankan keyboard!) for me to take to Cambodia! THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE WHO HELPED!

2nd-5th The weekend. On the Friday, we went to the deaf school project with Alyia in Golumadma Junction after teaching my last lesson with Andrea. It was sports day, funded by the National Lion Org. We got there at 2pm and had a lovely time for 4 hours; we had a shower at the centre. Here I also learnt the rules of cricket, a game that I now love! We then got a tuk-tuk to a club called Cleopatra, which has the largest dance floor in Colombo. We stayed until 3pm and got a tutk tuk back to Mt Lavinia, after stopping for a cheesey Kottu Roti.

The next morning I went around The National History Museum in Colomo. It was fascinating. I started with the pre-history section (from origin of man to the start of evolution). I continued to walk around and learnt many interesting things about the different historical periods in Sri Lanka. I went outside and met a lady who told me about her travel agency and if I would like to work for her, she said she had been watching me feed the puppies and also offered me lunch saying ‘you have fed my country’s animals, now as respect I want to feed you!’ We exchanged email addresses then I then went for a walk with Janice and walked around the natural history museum.

Scrubbing the elephants

My volleyball class at the Mahinda Rajapaksha College, Homagama

Sports day at the Deaf School
Fitting in as a local and eating with hands!

Private beach near Matara

Mangustine... the best fruit ever!

My ride home from when I got lost!


After, we took the bus to Matara to stay with Rageeths family. The next day we woke up and went to an amazing part of Kamburagamwra. It was a private beach, off the road and down a track. We had to cross a shallow stream to get to it. We spent the morning swimming and snorkelling. I found an amazing piece of coral washed up on the shore. I saw many beautiful fish along the coral reef. He then took us to Weligamma, his cousins hotel and we met his cousin Vinnie and we went surfing (I couldn’t even stand up!) That evening we got the coastal bus back to Mount Lavina and that was the end of week 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment